Thursday, August 16, 2007

A closer look at my Army Records


I thought it might be helpful for CTNana if I posted a better picture of one of the pages in my own Army Records.
Typical of the War Office is the fact that there is no reference number for the sheet itself so I can't quote it for comparison.
It does contain some gems though, including when I was placed on my only charge during the whole of my service for missing an evening roll call !
I've often been glad of this document when checking dates, I actually received 17 sheets in all.

6 Comments:

Blogger Boabbie said...

But where were you Ron?.

Thursday, 16 August, 2007  
Blogger Ron Goldstein said...

Boabbie

You ask "but where were you" ?

We were sweating on going into action (which turned out to be Sicily, although we didn't know it at the time) and a few of us had gone into the nearest village to have a farewell drink.

Strictly against orders, of course and a spot roll call at 1950 hrs had caught us out. We returned to camp before midnight but no further roll call was made until the next morning so they were able to charge us as being absent until then.

The short story is that we lost 8 days pay !

Thursday, 16 August, 2007  
Blogger Peter G said...

A likely story! This needs further investigation. :)

Thursday, 16 August, 2007  
Blogger Ron Goldstein said...

Peter

I bet your own records are un-sullied by such missdemeanours....

We all know what a goody-two-shoes you must have been, unless, of course, you tell us otherwise :)

Thursday, 16 August, 2007  
Blogger Tomcann said...

Ron -
At least you are consistent with that tale of woe - all you could drink in the Tunisian pubs was that Muscatel - which I can still taste as it never seem to leave the mouth - our nearest village - as always with Tank mobs - was about 20 miles away and we could only get there once a week for an egg bun washed down by Muscatel !

Thursday, 16 August, 2007  
Blogger Peter G said...

Oh dear! :(

I suspect Ron may have rumbled me. Fingers crossed!

Friday, 17 August, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home