Thursday, September 02, 2010

Escape from Singapore (part 2)

I would appreciate some assistance from members of this forum.
In my previous post (my first in this forum) I narrated the story of Captain Mark Pillai's escape from Singapore in 1942.
I reproduce below the cover letter accompanying his debriefing in September 1942 which I found in the Singapore War Archives in 2000. It is from the Distribution List that I deduce that this is the Australian copy.
Can anybody help with the name of the Brigadier DMI signing the cover letter (I think RA........)?
Also can anybody expand the acronyms appearing in the Distribution list (PSV, PSC, CGS ....)?
For those interested, the website of "3000 Miles to Freedom" at Lancer Military Publications is:

4 Comments:

Blogger Peter G said...

KTWOP

Your best bet is to go to the World War 2 Talk website. I am sure someone will have the answer to your queries in the Abbreviations section here. D.M.I. is Directorate of Military Intelligence, but I don't know the rest.

P.S. Could I ask you to keep any followups to a Post as a Comment? That keeps it all in one thread. Thanks, you'll soon get the hang of it.

Thursday, 02 September, 2010  
Anonymous ktwop said...

Noted.
Thanks for the link.

Thursday, 02 September, 2010  
Blogger ritsonvaljos said...

I will have a look at what I have in my files about military abbreviations. There is a standardised list of these. You can usually check them while doing research at one of the Regimental Museums or National Archives in London. If you are able to visit one of these places then there is usually somebody who knows most or all of them by heart.

This is a really interesting letter.

Friday, 03 September, 2010  
Blogger ktwop said...

WW2 Talk website has been an excellent link. Thanks.
See
http://www.ww2talk.com/forum/general/28972-military-cross-awarded-civilian-singapore-volunteer-corps.html
ktwop

Friday, 17 September, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home